Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Thing 3 : 23 Mobile Things : Utilities

I use many of these things, but I thought Google would be the most likely for me to use professionally, so I thought I'd see if there was anything new. I was crazy excited about Google Goggles...the Google Guys with the cute accents helped a bit. I needed to download the app - I have every other Google app on my phone/iPad save this one. I use Chrome so I haven't really needed it. Anyway, when I opened the app, I could not find a camera option in the search. Major bummer. If this becomes more widely available, I can see my students using it all the time! We are moving toward a 1:1 iPad environment and I am so excited for the learning students can do once we train them to use it "educationally" and not just to play games. Students are so curious! I am so curious! Any time I don't know an answer or want to know more, I ask Google. I have a teacher right now who has his student's ask Siri anytime he doesn't know something they are asking about. I am still envisioning some kind of school learning environment that operates like Tumblr. I mentioned this to a principal on a school visit recently and he said - why not actually use Tumblr? Maybe...or maybe a blog or a Google Doc to track their learning. I did just find another app for iPhone (apparently not iPad) called CamFind that people are raving about in April 2014. It seems pretty robust. I tried scanning a QR code, a random picture hanging in my library and a book cover and it found information on all three. I am excited to use it more!

No comments:

Post a Comment